BECOME A VOLUNTEER
Our goal is to ensure that every child in Hawaii who needs a volunteer Court Appointed Special Advocate has one. ABUSED AND NEGLECTED CHILDREN BELONG AT THE TOP OF ANY PRIORITY LIST.
WHY IT MATTERS
In an overburdened social welfare system, abused and neglected children often slip through the cracks among hundreds of current cases. CASA volunteers change that. Appointed by Family Court judges, CASA volunteers typically handle one case at a time—and commit to staying on that case until the child is placed in a safe, permanent home. While others may come and go, CASA volunteers provide that one constant that a child needs in order to thrive.
The Difference You Make
A child with a CASA volunteer is more likely to
• Be adopted, than to linger in long term foster care.
• Half as likely to re-enter the foster care system.
• More likely to do better in school.
It’s so much more than Economics!!!
It is central to society’s most fundamental obligation that the community will fight to protect a child’s right to be safe, respected, and nurtured. It is the community’s opportunity to serve and be the voice of children in a LEGAL system closed to the public. It is the CASA value added community approach to protect and address the well-being of children.
Steps to Becoming a CASA Volunteer
CASA Certification Requirements
- Complete a 5 week CASA overview training & court observations
- Clear all CPS/CAN registry, criminal checks, and FBI Clearances
- Demonstrate ability to serve under the judiciary’s code of conduct with honor, compassion, and courage.
- Commitment without compromise to advocating for the best interest of a child: one year minimal or for the life of a case.
- Minimum age is 21 to serve as a CASA Volunteer
LETTER FROM A CASA VOLUNTEER
“I wanted to thank you for your training and support. My time serving as a CASA has been one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. I have learned so much. Sometimes I was frustrated with the system, but mostly I was honored to serve two amazing young girls. It was a privilege to be their “voice”; but more importantly, it was a privilege to help them find their own voice. I will miss CASA Hawaii folks. I will miss my monthly reports (not really!). And I will definitely miss these girls.”
Court Appointed Special Advocate
MEET THE CASA VOLUNTEERS
CALL US TODAY AT 808-954-8124
You can support CASA Hawaii by becoming a volunteer. You’ll help in the lives of many children. If you can’t volunteer, consider donating!